Want to instantly improve all your relationships? Ask more questions. It will help get rid of the assumptions and judgements we constantly make, give an immediate boost to our listening skills and make us happier.
Here are six more reasons:
- We learn most about life by asking questions. Children naturally start learning about the world by observing, testing and asking “why.”
- The more we question, the better answers we get. Unfortunately, with age and responsibilities, the questioning stops and we settle for the few options that we have learned. The minute those options don’t work, we get stuck. Whenever we experience an obstacle, our brain goes to the fastest pattern it can find from our experiences similar to the current situation. This is why we sometimes have illogical reactions: We do not give time for the brain to find a better solution. The more information and experiences we have, the more options we have to solve our problems.
3. The quality of our lives depends on the questions we ask. The quality of our lives is directly related to the quality of our thinking.
“The quality of our thinking, in turn, is determined by the quality of our questions, for questions are the engine, the driving force behind thinking.”
4. Questioning opens your mind – Questioning forms new patterns in the brain. The more patterns it forms, the more flexible it becomes. With flexibility, it can access more information already stored in your brain instead of reverting to the old patterns.
5. Questioning makes you wiser – When you become more open because of your new flexible brain, you become more perceptive and can understand many different perspectives making you less biased in your decisions.
6. Making positive changes – perhaps the most important questions are the ones we stop and ask ourselves. Journalling is good for this. Ask questions like:
What does happiness look like for me?
Is it possible to have a problem and feel good at the same time?
What do I value most and is this manifest in my day-to-day living?
The more we ask ourselves important questions, the easier it gets to accept ourselves and to take charge in changing our lives for the better.