Grean leaves over zen stones pyramid on water surface
It’s today! If you’re not a meditator, perhaps just take 20 minutes out of your day to close your eyes, relax & reflect. There are many types of meditation and you can practise it anywhere – as well as finding a specific place to sit and be still.
The benefits are A LOT! Here are 5 great reasons to start:
- Meditation reduces stress – Stress affects most of us to varying degrees and with the onslaught of media and information plus the never-ending to-do list and this is only increasing. Meditation allows you to slow down, calm your mind and teaches your brain to regulate your emotions.
- Meditation develops focus – Focus is the hottest skill in town and one we need to get better at. Meditation improves concentration and helps you to get better at avoiding distraction.
- Meditation increases self-awareness – Slowing down clears your mind, become more accepting and helps you to understand what triggers anxiety or anger as well as making you tap more into your strengths.
- Meditation makes you happy – Studies have shown that when you meditate, brain signaling increases in the left side of the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for positive emotions, while activity decreases in the right side, responsible for negative emotions.
- Meditation keeps you young – Studies show that meditation changes brain physiology to slow aging. “Cognition seems to be preserved in meditators,” says Sara Lazar, a researcher at Harvard University. Lazar adds that meditators also have more gray matter – literally, more brain cells.